6 Ways for Homeschoolers to get Socialization

It just occurred to me. I have had many, many negative reactions to my decision to homeschool...and yet, all of the concerns that would come to MY mind when considering my childrens' education are not included in these objections. What qualifications do I have? How can I teach advanced subjects if I have no knowledge of these subjects? How will my children do lab sciences without access to an expensive laboratory?


Sadly, I don't get any of these objections. Nope, no one in my family is interested or worried about the quality of my childrens' education. None of my friends are worried about them not learning the right stuff. I bet you can guess what every single objection or concern over my decision to homeschool is...


Socialization


Yep, you guessed it! Everyone says that children NEED to go to school in order to make friends. And, judging from reactions, public school is all about socializing, and there is no where else that children can meet other children their own age.


Personally, I think that the fact that all objections people have to homeschooling are based on the perceived lack of socialization of homeschooled children shows exactly what a terrible state our society is in.


Obviously, there are so many other ways to meet other children, and spend time socializing! In this post, I will give you several different ideas for your homeschooled child to get socialization!


Online Homeschooling Groups


One of our best sources of information is the Internet. Why not join an online homeschooling group? If you go to Google, MSN or Yahoo! and do a search for homeschooling, you will find a number of homeschooling groups that can offer you a wealth of information.


Some of these groups are nationwide, some are state based, and still others are city specific. Some homeschooling groups are focused on curriculum, some on book sales, and still others on get togethers and field trips.


Local Homeschooling Groups


I have homeschooled in South Carolina, New York and Texas. No matter where I've lived, I have found local homeschooling groups that offer social activities. These have ranged from co-op classes to field trips, to skating days and bowling.


I think it's important for homeschooling parents to join these groups; not only do they offer socialization for the children, they also offer support for the parents. By joining a local homeschooling group, you can find great homeschool deals offered by businesses in the area, learn about local homeschooling laws, and find other resources you may not otherwise learn about.


I know in my area, the local homeschooling groups offer park days, swimming get togethers, bowling days and even sports. Homeschooled children get so many benefits from joining local homeschooling groups, spending time with other children their own age, and academic opportunities.


Co-op Classes


A lot of homeschooling groups in your area will offer co-op classes. Co-op classes are usually taught by volunteer parents who have knowledge they wish to share. From personal experience, I can tell you that co-op classes can help get something in your child's curriculum that you either know nothing about, or have no wish to teach. My daughter was able to take a class on disection that I would not have been able to teach her because just the thought of disection makes me ill...


Co-op classes give your kids the chance to get out of the house, get a different perspective on academic material, learn something extra that you may not offer them, and lets them spend time in a classroom and meet new friends. Parents also get a break from the "routine" and are able to spend some time with other homeschooling parents to share frustrations, tips, resources and stories.


4-H Clubs


4-H is such a wonderful program...and they have so much more now then they used to. When I was a kid, 4-H was pretty much all about farming. Now they have technology, gardening, animals, sewing and so much more. Personally, I think that joining a 4-H club is perfect for any homeschooled child; they offer something that will fit just about any personality, and activities for all interests.


The 4-H program offers so much that it's too much to get into in this post. But I strongly encourage you to visit their website to find a local chapter. You can also find out more information on what they offer that will benefit your children.


Community Sports


Some local homeschooling groups will offer sports especially for homeschooled students. However, if you live in an area that doesn't have any sports for homeschoolers, check out your local recreation center. Many communities have sports that are open to anyone in the community...and yet another method of socialization for your children.


Girl and Boy Scouts


How many of us weren't in the scouts? I know I was...and it was a lot of fun. I have some great memories of girl scout day camps, camping trips, crafts time, plays and parties. I made a lot of friends in girl scouts, so of course it's logical to think our children would have a lot of fun, make great memories and lasting friends, right?


The Boy Scouts offer a co-ed scouting program called Venturing. This is an adventure oriented scouting organization for teenagers. My DH thinks this isn't a good idea, but many parents I've talked to have their teenaged girls in the program, and they love it. Apparently the program offers more than simply completing tasks to earn a badge; they do a lot of outdoor activities, including survival skills and camping.


Public School: Only for Socialization?


So with all the issues with the public school system today (which I won't get into here) added together with the only objections I get when people find out I homeschool my children, is public school only for socialization?


I think I've proven that public school isn't the only way children can be around others their own age. There are so many other ways to ensure our children are properly socialized. So why is it the general public believes that homeschooled children are isolated??


I'm very interested to hear about your experiences...do you get these objections? How do you make sure your kids are socialized? Do you feel your homeschooled children are isolated (*giggle*)?

2 Responses
  1. Carletta Says:

    I get a lot of comments about socialization, too. I think it is odd that people feel school is the only place children can make friends and interact with others. The only problem we have in terms of socialization is that there are too many activities to choose from, and we have to be careful not to overload ourselves so that we still have time for school.


  2. I am so with you there! So far we have activities for everyday of the week...and I'm starting to worry that between all the cleaning I do on a daily basis, and the running around to all these activities, and getting everyone READY for all these activities, that we're not going to have any time left for school!!!